There are at least 25 items that have been banned by the federal government from being imported into Nigeria. The list, circulated by the Finance Ministry on Friday, includes soaps, used fridges and spaghetti.
The ban on the items was put in place by the government in 2016, as part of yearly efforts to control import, but is still in place as no new one has been provided for 2017, Festus Akanbi, spokesperson to the finance minister told PREMIUM TIMES.
See the full list of 25 items banned below.
IMPORT PROHIBITION LIST (TRADE)
- Pork, Beef, H.S. Codes 0201.10.00.00 – 0204.50.00.00, 0206.10.00.00 – 0206.90.00.00, 0210.10.00.00 – 0210.20.00.00
- Live or Dead Birds including Frozen Poultry H.S. Code 0105.1100 – 0105.9900, 0106.31.00.00 – 0106.39.00.00, 0207.11.00.00 – 0207.26.00.00 and 0210.99.00.00
- Bird Eggs H.S. Code 0407.11.00.00 – 0407.90.00.00; excluding hatching eggs
- Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form containing added flavouring or colouring matter H. S. Code 1701.91.10.00 – 1701.99.90.00 in retail packs
- Cocoa butter, Powder and cakes H.S. Codes 1802.00.00.00 – 1803.20.00.00, 1805.00.10.00 – 1805.00.90.00, 1806.10.00.00 – 1806.20.00.00 and 1804.00.10.00 – 1804.00.90.00
- Refined vegetable oil 1507.10.00.00-1516.20.90.00.but excluding refined linseed, castor and olive oil. Crude vegetable oil are however NOT banned from importation.
- Spaghetti/Noodles H.S. Code 1902.11.00.00 – 1902.30.00.00
- Waters, including mineral waters and aerated Waters, containing added sugar or sweetening matter or flavoured, ice snow H.S. Codes 2201.10.10.00 – 2201.90.00.00, other non-alcoholic beverages H.S. Codes 2202.10.00.00 – 2202.90.90.00.(but excluding energy or health drinks – liquid dietary supplements e.g. Power Horse, Red Ginseng, etc) H.S. Code 2202.90.10.00 and Beer and stout (Bottled, Canned or otherwise packed) H.S. Code 2203.00.10.00 – 2203.00.90.00.
- Fruit Juice in retail Packs H.S. Code 2009.11.10.00 – 2009.11.90.00 – 2009.90.90.00
- Bagged Cement H.S. Code 2523.29.00.00
- Medicament falling under Headings 3003 & 3004 such as:
- a) Metronidazole tablets and Syrups
- b) Cotrimozazole tablets and Syrups
- c) Paracetamol tablets Syrups
- d) Chloroquine tablets and Syrups
- e) Haematinic formulations:
(i) Folic acid tablets
(ii) Ferrous sulphate and ferrous gluconate tablets
(iii) Vitamin B Complex tablets (except modified release formulations).
- f) Multivitamin tablets, capsules and syrups (except special formulations)
- g) Aspirin tablets (except modified release formulations and soluble aspirin)
- h) Magnesium trisilicate tablets and suspensions
- i) Ointments penicillin/gentamycin
- j) Levamisole tablets and syrups
- k) Piperazine tablets and syrups
- l) Pyrantel pamoate tablets and syrups
- m) Intravenous Fluids (Dextrose, Normal Saline etc)
- 00Soaps and Detergents H.S. Code 3401.11.10.00 – 3402.90.00.00 in retail packs
- Waste pharmaceuticals H.S. Code 3006.92.00. Mosquito repellant Coils H.S. Code 3808.91.17.00 (mosquito coils)
- Sanitary Wares of Plastics H.S. Code 3922.10.00.00 – 3922.90.00.00 and Domestic Articles and Wares of Plastic H.S. Code 3924.10.00.00 – 3924.90.90.00 (but excluding Baby Feeding Bottles 3924.90.20.00) and (flushing cistern and waterless toos toilets).
- 00Telephone Recharge Cards and Vouchers 4911.99.91.00
- Corrugated paper and Paper boards H.S. Code 4808.10.00.00 and Cartons, boxes and cases made from Corrugated paper and Paper boards H.S. Code 4819.10.00.00, Toilet paper, Cleansing or facial tissue H.S. Code 4818.10.00.00 – 4818.90.00.00 excluding baby diapers and incotinent pads for adult use 9619.00.22.00 and Exercise Books H.S. 4820.20.00.00
- Rethreaded and used Pneumatics tyres but excluding used trucks tyres for rethreading of size 11.00 x 20 and above 4012.20.10.
- Carpets and other textile floor coverings falling under H.S. Code 5701.10.00.00 – 5705.00.00.00
- All types of footwears, bags and suitcases, H.S. Code 6401.10.90.00 – 6405.90.90.00 and 4202.11.90.00-4202.99.90.00 but excluding safety shoes used in oil industries, sports shoes, canvass shoes and all Completely Knocked Down (CKD), blanks and parts.
- Used motor vehicles above 15 years from the Year of manufacture H.S. Code 8703.10.00.00 – 8703.90.00.00
- Used compressors H.S. Code 8414.30.90.00, Used Air Conditioners H.S. Codes 8415.10.10.00 – 8415.90.90.00 and used Fridges/Freezers H.S. Code 8418.10.10.00 – 8418.69.00.00
- Hollow glass bottles of a capacity exceeding 150 mls (0.15 litres) of all kinds used for packaging beverages by Breweries and other beverages and drinks company H.S. Code 7010.90.49.00 and 7010.90.31.00.
- Ball point pen and parts including refills (excluding tip)
- Furniture H.S. Code 9401.1000.00 – 9401.9000.99 and 9403.1000 – 9404.9000, but excluding Baby walkers, laboratory cabinets such as microscope table, fume cupboards, laboratory benches (9403), stadium chairs, height adjustment device, base sledge, seat frames and control mechanism, arm guide and head guides. Also excluded are; skeletal parts of furniture such as blanks, upholstered or unfinished part of metal, plastics, veneer, chair shell etc.