Mobile Technology giant Samsung has confirmed two incidents of their newly-released smartphone(Galaxy Note7) exploding in Australia in recent days, including a case in a on Monday where a man’s phone exploded as he slept in his Perth hotel room.
The Galaxy Note7 smartphone has been recalled around the globe after safety concerns emerged about the battery causing fires while the phone was plugged in to charge.
More than 50,000 cases of the phones will be recalled in Australia.
Victorian man Tham Hua, who visited Perth on a business trip, said he plugged the smartphone to charge before he slept, resting it on the edge of his hotel mattress and suddenly woke up to a loud and a hissing sound and watched as the phone caught fire.
The explosion caused more than $1800 damage to the room; a cost Tham Hua said in posts on Reddit and product forum, Whirlpool that Samsung Australia had agreed to cover.
“My brand new Galaxy Note7 exploded this morning while I was sleeping, it was plugged in, charging,” Mr Hua Said.
“Phone completely fried. Samsung told me this is the first indecent in Australia.
“It charred the hotel room bed sheet and the carpet when I whacked it down to the floor, burnt one of my fingers while doing that too.” he added
Samsung confirmed to Fairfax Media that Mr Hua’s case was one of two experienced in Australia. It would appear both incidents occurred since Friday, when Samsung’s worldwide recall announcement said Australia had seen no cases of the battery defect.
The smartphone was launched in Australia on August 19, 2016 retailing for $1,349. More than 35 cases of the exploding battery problems had been experienced around the world by September 1.
Samsung are now advising anyone who owns the Note7 to turn off their phone and leave it off until they can exchange it.
Culled From: smh.com.au